These easy thumbprint cookies filled with apple butter are a healthy vegan and gluten-free twist on the classic thumbprint cookie. Thumbprint cookies are one of those staple cookies that are perfect for any occasion. They’re one of my favorite cookies because of how customizable they are. You can fill them with any filling of choice which makes them a great option for events and holidays!
These apple butter thumbprint cookies were inspired by the apple butter I had left over from another fall recipe. The apple butter was too delicious to go to waste, so I started brainstorming some ideas for ways I could use it. Which leads us to these apple butter thumbprint cookies!
The buttery flavor of the almond cookie paired with the sweet apple butter filling makes for the most delicious combination that’s perfect for fall! These cookies are perfectly soft and chewy you wouldn’t realize they are vegan AND gluten-free. They are made with few ingredients and come together quick. Not only are they perfect for fall and the holiday season, but they can also be enjoyed year round! Just swap the apple butter with your filling of choice or the current flavors of the season.
Ingredients for Easy Vegan and Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies Filled with Apple Butter
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Flour OR Corn Starch
- Coconut Sugar
- Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Butter (or filling of choice)
How to make Easy Vegan and Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies Filled with Apple Butter
- Combine dry ingredients.
Whisk ingredients together.
- Mix wet ingredients.
In a mug or small bowl, whisk together vanilla, water, and maple syrup.
- Add in wet mixture.
Then, pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
Stir until fully combined.
- Add to baking sheet.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough and place on cookie sheet.
- Make indentation in cookie.
Then, use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Fill centers.
Once cooled, fill center of cookies with apple butter.
Tips for storing
- For room temperature – store cookies in a container for up to 2 days.
- For refrigerator – store cookies in a container for up to 4 days.
- For more soft cookies keep lid fully sealed.
- For less soft cookies do not seal lid fully.
Looking for other fall recipes? Here are a few ideas:
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
- Easy Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese
A healthy vegan and gluten-free version of thumbprint cookies filled with apple butter (or filling of choice) that are perfect for fall!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (pack into measuring cup)
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour OR corn starch
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine pink himalayan salt (can use fine sea salt instead)
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- approx. 1/4 cup apple butter (can sub with fruit jam or filling of choice instead)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour (or corn starch if using), coconut sugar, & salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl or mug whisk together vanilla extract, water, & maple syrup. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined (dough should stick together, but not be overly wet).
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop up 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough per cookie and place on cookie sheet. Use your thumb or back of tablespoon to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
- Once cooled, fill center of cookies with apple butter (approx. 1 tsp per cookie).
Store cookies at room temperature for 2 days in container or in fridge for 4 days. For more soft cookies keep lid fully sealed, for less soft cookies do not seal lid fully.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 45.6 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: quick, easy, healthy cookies, apple butter, vegan cookies, gluten-free cookies, thumbprint cookies